Believe it or not, having quality oral health is not hard to achieve, yet the benefits are endless. Your mouth is often referred to as the window to your body, so the healthier your mouth is, the healthier your body is. Follow these seven simple steps to keep your mouth healthy.
1. Brush regularly. Brushing thoroughly and regularly has a huge impact on your oral health. Brushing removes food particles that bacteria feed on, cleanses your teeth, and freshens you breath. Be sure to brush with fluoride toothpaste to strengthen and protect your teeth.
2. Floss daily. Flossing is one of the best things you can do for your teeth and gums, but most people floss irregularly or not at all. Flossing removes bacteria from between your teeth that your toothbrush cannot reach. I recommend flossing once a day, but be sure to floss before bed if you can only do it once daily.
3. Visit your dentist. I can’t stress enough how important going to the dentist is. Come to Lake Orion Family Dentistry at least twice a year for thorough dental cleaning and exams. I can spot early signs of gum disease and help prevent you from getting other kinds of serious health conditions.
4. Eat a healthy diet. Just like the rest of your body, your mouth needs certain things to stay healthy. Be sure to eat plenty of dairy and calcium-rich foods, as well as lots of vitamin C to help maintain strong bones, teeth, and gums.
5. Don’t smoke or use smokeless tobacco. Smokers are four times more likely than nonsmokers to have gum disease. Smokeless tobacco also increases your chances of developing oral cancers.
6. Whiten your teeth. Teeth whitening can take years off of your appearance with a very safe and easy procedure. Over-the-counter whitening methods can work, but I recommend professional-strength teeth whitening if you’re looking to lighten your teeth dramatically.
7. Consider cosmetic procedures. Your smile is the first thing people notice about you, and having a crooked, stained, or flawed smile can affect your confidence and the first impression you give off. There are countless cosmetic dental procedures available to give you the smile of your dreams.
I’m Dr. Brad Greenfield, a family and cosmetic dentist in Lake Orion Michigan, and the dental care and oral health of you and your family is the top priority of the Lake Orion Family Dental team. Call my dental office at (248) 693-6213 to find out how to enhance your smile.