As summer approaches, you will need to drink more water to keep your body hydrated and healthy. In honor of National Drinking Water Week (May 6-12), Dr. Greenfield wants to see if you know the benefits of drinking water.
1. How much of the human body is made up of water?
A. Ten percent
B. 60 percent
C. 90 percent
2. What is dehydration?
A. Lack of water
B. Too much water
C. Brain freeze
3. Which of the following is found in tap water?
4. Which of the following is a benefit of water?
A. Energize body
B. Moisturize skin and mouth
C. Both A and B
1. B. The human body is made up of 55 to 75 percent water, depending on the muscle and fat makeup of your body. Your body loses its natural water content through sweat, urination, breathing, vomiting, and other factors.
2. A. It’s important to replace the water your body loses to avoid becoming dehydrated. Dehydration causes weaknesses like dizziness, headaches, muscle cramps, fatigue, and thirst.
3. C. Fluoride is a necessary component for keeping tooth enamel strong. Although your toothpaste contains fluoride, tap water also provides a healthy and natural amount of fluoride.
4. C. Water helps replenish your body to boost your energy, keep your skin hydrated, improve concentration, aid in digestion, detoxify your body, and improve body strength. Oral health benefits include neutralizing your oral pH, rinsing away bacteria and food particles, and keeping your mouth moist.
Contact Dr. Greenfield to make sure you’re keeping your body and mouth hydrated this summer. Call Lake Orion Family Dentistry in Lake Orion, Michigan, at (248) 693-6213 to request an appointment. We welcome families from Lake Orion, Oxford, Rochester Hills, Clarkston, and the surrounding communities.