Do you ever feel uneasy about visiting the dentist? If you’ve nodded yes, then you’re not alone. In fact, the majority of people avoid the dentist due to anxieties or fears about going to the dentist. However, at Lake Orion Family Dentistry, we want everyone to feel comfortable when coming into our dental office.
For this reason, your Lake Orion, MI dentist shares some tips for patients who feel .
Ease Your Fears with These Tips
- Talk to the dentist. If have a general feeling of discomfort about visiting the dentist, consult with your Lake Orion, MI dentist first. Before you begin any treatments, express your fears with Dr. Greenfield to help him understand what you’re going through. At that time, he can suggest utilizing sedation therapy during your appointment. This is a type of relaxation method that dentists use to calm patients. Sedation allows you to feel comfortable, while remaining lucid to answer any questions the dentist may pose during your visit.
- Don’t schedule everything on the same day. The first visit should only include a cleaning alongside the examination and consultation. Here, the dentist simply polishes your teeth and checks for any dental issues. If you require any treatment, make another appointment to take care of it. This way you’re only in the dental practice for small spurts at a time.
- Bring a friend. Sometimes having a familiar face around makes visits to any doctor’s office a little easier. For patients who feel afraid of the dentist, Dr. Greenfield recommends bringing a friend or family member with you to the appointment. With them at your side, you may feel more at-ease and willing to complete the necessary treatment.
- Practice relaxation techniques. Try practicing some meditation before the appointment. This method of relaxation allows your body to release any tension to make the visit seem more comfortable. Additionally, you can continue to use this method during the appointment to ensure you remain calm.
- Take entertaining items. Distractions prove incredibly helpful for patients who dislike going to the dentist. It’s best to bring some music, a good book, or perhaps even a stress ball to take your mind off the appointment.
Lake Orion Family Dentistry Offers Exceptional General Dentistry
If you’re afraid of the dentist and would like more tips to make your visits comfortable, talk to Dr. Greenfield. He can suggest methods that allow him to complete your treatment without making the trip seem worrisome. To schedule an appointment with our for services, smile gallery, and patient forms. We happily serve patients in Clarkston, Auburn Hills, Oxford, Rochester Hills, and neighboring communities.