You may wonder what your options are for restoring your smile if you are only missing one tooth. Or, perhaps you’re missing multiple teeth side-by-side and are not sure where to begin. If this describes your tooth loss pattern, we may suggest a dental bridge to replace your missing teeth. We would also like to reassure you that replacing your teeth is essential in protecting your oral health. In addition to addressing the embarrassment you may feel by having an open space in your smile, we can also safeguard your remaining smile, while protecting you from long-term negative side effects of tooth loss. Have a few questions you would like answered? Learn more and test your knowledge with the following quiz:
Dental Bridge Quiz: True or False
- True or False: Dental bridges are just like partial dentures but they are fixed.
- True or False: A bridge relies on the natural teeth that sit on either side of your open space, called abutment teeth or “anchor teeth” for support.
- True or False: The bridge will blend beautifully with your remaining natural smile.
- True or False: We primarily suggest bridges for cosmetic improvement.
Quiz Answer Key
- False. Unlike partial dentures that you can remove at will, dentures are, in fact, fixed. However, the two prosthetics do not replace the same configurations of teeth. Partials may address missing teeth spread across your arch. However, bridges may only restore a single tooth or a series of missing teeth that rest next to one another.
- True. Each end of the bridge is composed of a dental crown that we will place permanently over each anchor tooth. To fill or “bridge” your gap, artificial teeth known as “pontics” lie between the end crowns to complete your smile.
- True. We will color-match the crowns and pontics in the bridge to the surrounding teeth. The final result will be a uniform smile so onlookers will not be able to easily distinguish between the bridge and your natural teeth.
- False. Cosmetic improvement is one benefit of bridges. However, we also suggest dental bridges because they keep your remaining smile from shifting, they prevent food from becoming trapped in your open space, they restore your ability to chew and speak comfortably, and they offer long-term wear.
ABOUT YOUR LAKE ORION DENTIST:
Dr. Brad Greenfield offers our patients access to the latest in holistic dentistry. You can visit Dr. Greenfield’s office in Lake Orion at 248-693-6213 to schedule a dental appointment for a dental implant consultation. We offer comprehensive dentistry services to patients in Lake Orion and surrounding communities.