Only about half of Americans visit the dentist every year. It’s essential to visit Dr. Greenfield twice a year for a professional dental cleaning and checkup. What exactly does a dental checkup involve? Here are the important components of your professional checkup with Dr. Greenfield.
During the first part of your checkup, Dr. Greenfield will perform a full examination of your mouth, including:
- Visible tooth-by-tooth exam to check for decay, chips, fractures, and other noticeable problems
- Digital X-rays to evaluate detailed images of your teeth, roots, bite, and facial bones. X-rays can help detect tooth decay, gum disease, misalignments, and other dental conditions in their developing stages so they can be treated early on.
- Head and neck exam to check for signs of TMJ
- An occlusion analysis to evaluate your bite
- Periodontal exam to assess the color and tenderness of your gums, as well as treat bacteria along your gum line
- Oral cancer screening using the VELscope system to detect tissue abnormalities
- Cosmetic analysis to check for discolorations, gaps, chips, and other imperfections. Dr. Greenfield will then recommend treatment options that will restore and improve your smile.
- Your dental examination will also address your dental discomforts, including phobias and anxieties. We will provide comfortable accommodations for all our patients.
At your checkup with Lake Orion Family Dentistry, one of our registered dental hygienists—Lisa, Ronda, or Curtis—will perform a powerful dental cleaning that includes:
- Plaque and tartar removal from your teeth
- Polishing your teeth
- Gum evaluation to check your gum health and measure your periodontal pocket depth. If you have gum disease, you may require a deep cleaning, which involves scaling, root planing, and Arestin application to clean and treat bacterial infections.
- Hygiene evaluation to determine the effectiveness of your home hygiene and recommend cleaning habits that keep your smile healthy and beautiful
Your dental checkup also gives you the opportunity to learn about your mouth. Dr. Greenfield and our team will tell you how to take care of your smile. If you have any dental problems, we will discuss your treatment options and explain all the information you need to know about keeping your mouth healthy. We also encourage you to ask questions and discuss your concerns if there’s anything you don’t understand. We want you to be completely confident and comfortable with your oral health.
A full dental checkup takes about an hour, and we encourage you to schedule your appointment on a day and time that is convenient for you. Call (248) 693-6213 to schedule a dental checkup with Dr. Greenfield at Lake Orion Family Dentistry in Lake Orion, Michigan. We welcome families from Lake Orion, Oxford, Rochester Hills, Clarkston, and surrounding communities.