Losing a tooth as a child is a normal, healthy part of growing up. However, while it sometimes happens as we continue to grow up, losing a tooth as an adult is not healthy. In fact, no matter how or why it happens, it is a dental emergency. So, in today’s blog, your Lake Orion, MI, dentists will share the ways in which we can restore your lost teeth after a dental emergency.
What to Do First
When you find yourself in the middle of a dental emergency, like losing a tooth, it is important to remember to stay calm. Whether the tooth was dislodged due to an accident or it became loose and fell out on its own, the first steps are to:
- Assess your situation and make sure that you are okay. This includes checking to see if you are bleeding so that you can stop the blood flow, using gauze if you have it.
- Find your fallen tooth and, without cleaning any tissues off of it, place it in a container full of salt water or milk and seal it to preserve the tooth as well as possible so that you can take it with you.
- Call Lake Orion Family Dentistry to set up an emergency appointment.
At Your Appointment
When you come in for your emergency appointment, your dentist will take you in for an examination to determine the quality of your overall oral health, checking for any issues like gum disease, tooth decay, infections, or any damage to your other teeth. After that, if your fallen tooth is healthy, they may attempt to reattach it. However, if it is not healthy, or if the tooth cannot be reattached, your dentist will work with you to determine your best choices for tooth restoration.
Tooth Replacement Options
When thinking about tooth replacement, there are several realistic options available to you which all have different benefits, including:
- Dentures, which are a great option if you have lost most or all of your teeth, as they replace your entire smile at once.
- A dental bridge, which would bridge the gaps in your smile by adding lifelike tooth replacements that are supported by the surrounding teeth.
- A single dental implant post which would support a CEREC same day dental crown, which would have the added benefit of replacing not only your visible tooth, but the root of your tooth as well, which helps to keep your jaw healthy.
If You Lose a Tooth, Call Right Away!
If you ever have any questions about dental healthcare, what’s normal, and what isn’t, we want to help you find the answers! And, if you experience a dental emergency like losing a permanent tooth, you should contact us right away so that we can help you handle it. To schedule an appointment, call Lake Orion Family Dentistry in Lake Orion, MI, today at 248-693-6213.